• question-icon

Is it common to have an early period while taking antibiotics?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Is it common to have an early period while taking antibiotics? I have regular 28 day cycles usually and did not have unprotected sex. I am mid way through a course of antibiotics and have just completed a 3 day vaginal thrush cream treatment. I have just got my period on day 18 of my cycle. Thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be due to antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
Antibiotics usually doesn't affect the menstruation.
Prolonged antibiotics use may delay the periods or make it heavier. Menstrual cycle is affected by use of hormones and by emotional factors.
Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 minute later
What would be the most likely cause of early period? Could the thrush treatment cause bleeding? Or maybe ruptured ovarian cyst? I have not had unprotected sex since last period.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Discussion follows

Detailed Answer:
Thrush can produce erosions in the vagina and may produce minor bleeding but unlikely to be like a period bleeding. At the time of ovulation, there can be spotting or minor bleeding.
If there's a ruptured ovarian cyst to cause bleeding like a period, you would have severe pain and be sick due to bleeding into the abdomen.
If you were exposed to hormones including contraceptive pills or if there are emotional issues, it may alter your menstrual cycle.
Dr. Noble Zachariah