Ask a Urologist   »  

Does Dutasteride interact with Flomax?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Ihave taken flomax for 2yrs. will combining it with dutasteride cause me any more unwanted side effects the flomax does not bother me other than if i rise quickly i sometimes get dizzy.The flomax is 0.4 mg and the dutasteride is 0.5 and should i take them together or at the same time?
Fri, 4 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no harm in taking combination of both the drugs.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query.

You have been detected to have enlarged prostate and have been taking Flomax to improve urine flow .and now your Urologist has advised you take Dutasteride in addition to Flomax .

Dutasteride is the drug that helps to reduce the size of the enlarged Prostate and thus helps to relieve obstruction to urine flow caused by enlarged prostate whereas Flomax is the drug that relaxes the smooth muscles in bladder neck and prostate and helps to dilate prostatic urethra and to improve urine flow .The combined effect of these drugs is rewarding compared to taking it alone .

There is no harm in taking combination of both the drugs .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Does Dutasteride interact with Flomax? 35 hours later
Thank you for your help i took the dutasteride and within hours i could tell a big difference.Will this drug actually shrink the prostate?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It helps to reduce size of enlarged prostate

Detailed Answer:
hello
Thanks for follow up .

Dutasteride helps to reduce size of the enlarged prostate to certain extent and helps to slow down further progress of enlargement of prostate .

Thanks and Regards.
dr.Patil