Do sensitivity and rash near the navel area indicate shingles?

Posted on Tue, 26 May 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have been feeling very sensitive skin at the left section of my stomach just above my naval and to the left. I am now noticing four circular red bumps but they are not filled with any liquid. I also have some raised bumps on my back. I have had this sensitivity for about a week or two and now I notice the rash. Could it be shingles?
Answered by Dr. Ahmad Nazzal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Thank you for reaching out for medical support. being straight to the point.

Yes, the description matches shingles. Usually the shingles rash is reddish bumpy that precedes sensitivity. And most commonly filled with fluid and blisters like. Therefore the progress of the rash is going to be important to us to arrive at a diagnosis.

As it is very important to seek medical care and administration of antiviral treatment shown to be helpful first 3 days of appearance of the rash. I will urge you to visit a doctor at the earliest to confirm the possibility. Never touch your eyes after touching the rash. if the rash spreads to the face or near the eye please seek medical attention. Make sure not to touch the rash even if its itching, apply some cold water pads on it might help reducing the pain and sensitivity plus it will help removing the blisters, tap water cold. Try to wear comfortable clothes loose ones.

Complications that hopefully will not happen but to be aware are spread to the eye, or post herpatic neuralgia which means neurological induced pain after the disease.

I hope I was able to cover as much details of the disease and to be as informative as possible.

I wish you full recovery.

Best regards,
Dr. Nazzal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ahmad Nazzal