Do liver metastases cause liver failure ?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 30 Mar 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: How
Soon do liver metastases cause liver failure ?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends on many many factors- almost impossible to predict.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit very small and specific.
There is no clear-cut indication as to when the metastases in the liver can cause liver failure.
This will depend upon many many factors.
- Size of the liver metastases.
- The organ from which the cancer has started.
- Grade of the cancer, whether mild, moderate or anaplastic (very fast growing).
- General condition of the patient.
- Site of the metastasis in the liver, whether at the porta hepatis (a place where the major artery, vein and bile ducts are) or near the major bile ducts/ blood vessels inside the liver.
- Associated diseases like diabetes, cachexia., hypoproteinemia, cirrhotic changes of liver, ascites (fluid in the abdomen).
- Other treatments like whether Chemotherapy is given or not.

These are the major factors and the combinations of many factors will decide the results.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to ash further relevant queries as you may need or if you feel that there is a gap-of-communication.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 9 minutes later
Ok i attach a ct scan
Image, can u please help with identifying liver lesions/ mets?

I have written beofre to you also. Colon cancer stage 3 in november 2013, grade 2.

Surgery march 2014 succesfull but unluckily august 14 liver met seen and
A node.

Irinotecan
Started october but increase in size of liver met and node .

The confussion is
We were told theres 1 liver met in january 2015.

However we got a second opinion last week n radiologist did another ct and said altogetjer 10 mets ! We are shocked.

Can 9 mets appear from XXXXXXX till now?

Please see attached records if you can make sense of it.

My father also had simple liver cysts which was confirmed via a mri in 2013.

Could some of these be cysts which new radiologist did
Not know about as did not have full records?

How manh lesions do u see?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There is progression of the disease.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback and the attachments; I have gone through them carefully.
9 mets can appears within this short span of time, ye, they can.
Simple liver cyst may not be related to the present findings.
The pictures of the new mets can not be missed so easily even by the new Radiologist.
Radiologist alone is the authority to talk about the lesions, I am sorry that I can not really comment upon this.

More important to know and understand is the progression of the disease and you are already under the care of the Maters in their respective fields.

Please follow the Path outlined by the Specialist and pray for the best outcome possible,
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 32 minutes later
Hi
Thanks . How many lesions can u see jn the ct image?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
We should go by the reports

Detailed Answer:
There are number of ''cuts'' for liver and after visualizing all the cuts one can comment upon the number of lesions in the scan.
Radiologist alone is the authority to comment on this after reviewing all the sections of the liver.