• question-icon

Suggest treatment for rectal cancer

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in Cancer
Question: my mum has rectal cancer but a stage can't be given yet. She has started chemoradiation. by looking at doctors clinic letter does this have a good prognosis? I am really worried at losing my mum. Please give me your thoughts regarding letter and is this in the lymph nodes? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Prognosis is good for early stages.

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
As per your query answer is-

To make a comment i need to see the reports of biopsy because only by biopsy we can judge the stage of cancer.
However as per the description given by Nurse note it looks like to be in stage 1 or 2 (early stages).

As per the standard text-

The 5-year relative survival rate for people with stage I rectal cancer is about 92% with proper treatment.
For people with stage IIA cancer, the 5-year relative survival rate is about 87%. For stage IIB cancer, the survival rate is about 63%.
The 5-year relative survival rate for stage IIIA cancers is about 89%. For stage IIIB the survival rate is about 69%, and for stage IIIC cancers the survival rate is about 53%.
cancers that have spread to other parts of the body are often harder to treat and tend to have a poorer outlook. Metastatic, or stage IV colon cancers, have a 5-year relative survival rate of about 11%. Still, there are often many treatment options available for people with this stage of cancer.

Whether it involves lymph node or not depends on biopsy report.No one can tell this by examination especially in small tumours.
Any further opinion needs reports of biopsy.It is an examination of tissue removed from a living body to discover the presence, cause, or extent of a disease.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
do you think my mum's is early?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
Size of the tumor suggests it can be early.
However final call can be taken only after reports of biopsy are available.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
mum is on week 2 of chemoradiotherapy she has started with black stools is this normal? I have asked the consultant and they are not concerned
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
Pain change in stool consistency color frequency bowel habits etc are all common side effects.
They will settle down with time.
Rest assured your mom would be fine.

can you attach a picture of your mom her height weight general appaearance.
2years back and now.i would try to use my experience figuring out the stage.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
mum in purple now and mum in green 2 years ago

Height 5 foot 3 inches, weight 16 stone 7 pounds and is coping really well with treatment
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
She looks the same in both pictures.
As per my experience its not terminal stage because in stage 3 and 4 person becomes cachexic .Cancer cachexia was defined as a multifactorial syndrome defined by an ongoing loss of muscle mass that cannot be fully reversed by conventional nutritional support and leads to progressive functional impairment.

I don't k ow in whichstage she is but definitely her prognosis would be good if treated properly.

Please attach nurse notes of radichemo sessions.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
I don't have anymore information but you think mum's prognosis is good and we are following the right treatment plan. Is mum's tumor small?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
While treating a tumor its not just the size which decides the severity rather treatment depends on stage.
However in general small tumor's are usually representing initial stages.

As per the narration and small details i had it seems that she is in early stages and would be fine very soon.
Treatment is ok.

What were her symptoms?
Was she bleeding too much?
Was there pain in rectal canal?

please reply i want to know the intensity of her symptoms.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 14 minutes later
Mum just had a little rectal bleeding other than that nothing but she said nothing for 12 months
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hey there,
Rest assure she will be fully normal after her treatment.
Asymptomatic masses are usually in initial stages.
Just calm down.
She would be fine.
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist