Do antibiotics interact with Prednisone?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Should I take prednisone while taking antibiotics?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you can take it...

Detailed Answer:

the word "should" in your question is a bit confusing. If you intended to ask "Can I take..." then the answer would have been a simple yes. Antibiotics are not given with corticosteroids unless there are specific indications (like intravenous corticosteroids for suspected pneumococcal meningitis). Other disorders may coincide with infections and may make corticosteroids necessary.

I don't know what kind of disorder you have right now (because you haven't shared any details with me), so I can't comment on the necessity for this measure.

So in conclusion, you can take prednisone with antibiotics, it's common practice particularly to patients with autoimmune disorders or allergies.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 39 minutes later
Thanks,
I have severe cough and very swollen lymph glands.
Minute clinic gave me Keflex pills beginning yesterday morning.
I have some prednisone which was prescribed by my Doctor last year for very sore throat and it worked great and fast.
If I were to take the prednisone now because it seems the Keflex is slow, will ir interefere with the effectiveness of the Keflex?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
probably not...

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome!

Corticosteroids reduce inflammation and may help you to feel better but they don't induce any real improvement in infections. In most cases they won't cause any serious harm but there are cases where corticosteroids may cause worsening. For example, they may increase the risk of gastrointestinal bleeding, fungal infections, worse blood pressure control, worse blood sugar control, rupture of diverticula, etc.

It's better if you avoid using such drugs unless a doctor prescribed them. Keflex will kill the bacteria if they're susceptible to it anyway.

Kind Regards!