Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Dizziness, frequent urination. Bladder or kidney infection?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14838 Questions
Need to go alot, odor and now dizziness when I got this morning. Is this a bladder or kidney infection?
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later

It sounds like an bladder, ureters , kidney and in men the prostate.
The symptoms that are normally experienced are: frequency of urination, pain on urination or just after, needing to rush to the bathroom ( urgency), malodourous urine, hematuria, abdominal pain, fever, vomiting in severe cases, general unwell feeling
In the cases where the infection has spread to the kidney you would also experience pain in the left or right mid back as well .

Women experience urinary tract infections more commonly than men.
The urine is normally sterile but can become infected, the most common bacteria is called e coli.

You can try drinking alot of water to flush the kidneys,in addition you can also use cranberry juice which has been shown to be effective in urinary tract infections.It kills or inactivates the bacteria.

You may need to visit your doctor , especially since you are also complaining of dizziness. He or she will take a full history to get the scope of your symptoms, examine your abdomen, check for kidney involvement, he or she may also check your blood pressure and pulse since you feel dizzy.
A urine analysis will be done by dipstick to check for signs of an infection and urine may also be sent to the lab for further analysis.At the lab they will be able to identify the specific bacteria.

Antibiotics are usually required for a few days.

I hope this information is helpful to you , feel free to ask any additonal questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor