Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

Difficulty speaking, stammering. Cannot pronounce words properly.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1982
Answered : 698 Questions
My kid is feeling difficult in speaking. Few times it looks like stammering. At the age of two years he was speaking very fluently. For same words now (some times) he is now trying hard to pronounce properly
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 42 minutes later

Stammering is a very common problem during childhood, and if tackled with tact, it tends to disappear over a few months or so. It is usually due to some stress in the child's life, though this is not the kind of stress that adults go through and cannot be easily quantified. The correct thing to do is to not push the child or rebuke him to speak correctly. Also, do not make fun of him or insult him in front of outsiders or his friends. Give him time to express himself and encourage him to say what he wants by waiting till he has finished saying what he wants. Do not be in a hurry to listen to him. If handled with patience, the problem will definitely rectify without any other professional assistance or use of medication. However, if there is no change in, say, a month or so, please consult a speech therapist and/or psychologist to understand the problem and to manage it more professionally.'

I hope and pray that your kind and patient approach solves his stammering soon.

With regards,

Dr. Taher Kagalwala
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor