Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with sacralization, herniated disc. Have pain in buttocks. Is there any option of surgical treatment?

Jun 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2219 Questions
I have been diagnosed with both sacralization of L5/S1 and a herniated disc at the same location (from MRI and xrays by both a pain specialist and a back surgeon). I have pain in my left high buttocks area that increases the farther I walk. I can walk only short distances. The back surgeon belives it is a disc issue but is not sure; he says my overgrown lower vertebrae on my left side could be rubbing against my pelvis but that is rare. Is there any doctor in the country that treats this condtion surgically? I have had months of therapy and several cortesone shots but they provide no relief at all. I have had upper back disc issues that have responded well to therapy and medication in the past.
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 10 hours later
Hi there ~

I understand your concerns. It is hard to have this condition and lead a normal life. I have worked with a doctor in Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, who is an expert in these issues. His contact information is below:

Isador H. Lieberman, Bsc MD MBA FRCS(C)
Professor of Surgery
Director Minimally Invasive Surgery Center
Director Center for Advanced Skills Training
Cleveland Clinic Spine Institute and Department of Orthopedic Surgery
9500 Euclid Ave, Rm A41
Cleveland OH 0000 USA
Office: 216 445 2743
Fax 216 636 0586

I hope you connect with him or his office to get an appointment scheduled as soon as you can. I wish you the very best in your healing.

Take care and have a lovely day!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor