Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with osteoporosis. Suggest some medication

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
My mother is diagnosed with Ostoporasis.

Please suggest some medicine for her.
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Osteoporosis
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

I am gone through your reports in detail-
Medicines used to prevent or treat osteoporosis include:

Bisphosphonates are the most common medications prescribed for osteoporosis treatment. These include:
Alendronate (Fosamax)
Risedronate (Actonel, Atelvia)
Ibandronate (Boniva)
Zoledronic acid (Reclast, Zometa)

Raloxifene (Evista), a selective Calcitonin (Calcimar or Miacalcin), a naturally occurring hormone that helps regulate calcium levels in your body Parathyroid hormone -postmenopausal women with severe osteoporosis who are at high risk for bone fracture. It is given by injection.

Densumab- used to treat women who are past menopause and who are at high risk for bone fracture. Given by injection, usually every 6 months.

Hormone therapy for osteoporosis in women.

Discuss with your doctor about these options for treating your mother osteoporosis.

If your mother takes medicine for osteoporosis, she will also need to get enough calcium and vitamin D, eat a healthy diet, and exercise regularly. A large part of treating or reducing the effects of osteoporosis is getting enough calcium and vitamin D.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor