Is Fosamax an effective medication for osteoporosis?

Question
Hello, I just had a bone density test and was told I have osteoporosis, My doctor recommends I take a medication called Fosamax, Need to know if there is another medication u might recommend. I'm 65yrs old taking blood pressure medication, clorestorol, and a statin.

would like to know if one type of medication would be safer to take than fosamax? or are theyall about the same type.the doctor said that fosamax could cause weight gain, i need to loose weight not gain weight. is there any medication for osteoporosis that wouldn't cause weight gain?
Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry about side effects

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Fosamax (alendronate) is a bisphosphonate medicine that slows bone loss while increasing bone mass, and therefore is the right medicine for you. Like any medicines, some side effects are possible but side effects occur only in a small section of individuals and therefore you have no reason to worry. However, weight gain is not a side effect of this medicine.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: Is Fosamax an effective medication for osteoporosis? 13 minutes later
I woild like to know if Boniva would be ok to use as well. my doctor wants me to take 70 mgs daily. i have read reviews on webmd and i am somewhat confused which i should try. on your website there are 2 other medications 1-Boniva 2-Actonel 3-Boniva. would the other 2 besides Fosamax be ok to use.I was taking a joint&bone suppliment just wondering if I could continue to take those as well. I am on calicum suppliment to.

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue calcium supplementation but leave the other for the choice of doct

Detailed Answer:
Boniva (Ibandronate Sodium) and Actonel (Risedronate Sodium) are other bisphosphonates that can be used. I do not suppose that it is a good idea to try one alongside the other. Let your doctor make the choice.

Please continue your calcium supplementation.