Can bone growth stimulators cause pseudoarthrosis?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Fractured pelvis in 3 places one year ago. Re-fracture 2 weeks ago. No accident or injury. osteoporosis. orthopedic Dr. recommends bone stimulator to use at home. Besides being very costly I can find no good reviews about using this. Most reviews say that a side effect is pseudoarthrosis (sp?) and that doesn't sound good at all. I'm looking for your expert opinion if I should proceed with this. I was 4 months recovering and PT last time. I have had no PT this time
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can use a bone stimulator in moderation.

Detailed Answer:
Recurrent fractures without any considerable injury can be due to severe osteoporosis. The healing of bones needs a good amount of calcium vitamin D3 and other minerals. You need to start with calcium and multivitamin supplements. Treatment for osteoporosis with bisphosphonates is also needed to avoid any further fractures. You can start the proper therapy after consulting your endocrinologist.
To heal the fracture bone stimulator is helpful. Pseudoarthrosis is a side effect if it is used in excess. You can use it for limited period to help your weak bones to heal. Physiotherapy is needed once the fracture has healed to some extent.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: Can bone growth stimulators cause pseudoarthrosis? 41 minutes later
Thank you for your prompt and informative information. I will follow your guidance along with my local specialists. I appreciate your address for further query.
Best regards, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
I am happy I could help. Do recommend our services to your friends too in case you find it helpful.
Wishing you the best in whatever you do.
Best Regards.