Diagnosed with multicystic dysplastic kidney. What precautions should I take in terms of health, diet and health?

Dr. Aditya Bhabhe

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Question: My Son Adhidev (6 months old) is diagnosed with Multicystic dysplastic right Kidney. His birth report attached for your reference. His foreskin in penis is removed (Circumcision??) recently as he was urinating on a thin path. Now he is doing good.

Please advise what are the precautions I need to take in terms of treatment, diet and in health?
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See detailed answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi there
Thank you for sending in your query.

Multicystic dysplatic kidney occurs in about 0.05% of live births.

The dysplastic kidney (the right kidney in your son's case) usually has very little function. It will involute (shrink in size) over time and unfortunately there is no therapy to prevent or treat that.

The good news is that the left kidney appears normal. It has to do the work of both kidneys and it appropriately appears hypertrophied on the USG.

So the future management will be directed in ensuring that this kidney is functioning normally and avoiding insults to it.

A patient is often able to lead a normal life with a single kidney if looked after properly.

So what should you be doing from here on?
1) If not already done you should do the following Blood tests: urea, creatinine and urine analysis. If these are normal we need to monitor them periodically (say every year for the first 5 years then once in 2 years)

2) We need to do Serial ultrasounds with the same frequency as the blood tests. This will help us to know if the left kidney is growing in size. It will also tell us if the right kidney is shrinking.

3) His blood pressure has to be checked periodically.

4) Any infection should be treated immediately by consulting the pediatrician.

5) A number of commonly used medications are harmful to the kidneys for such patients and should never be taken. This includes pain killers like combiflam, brufen, nise etc., antibiotics like amikacin.
Please see a nephrologist who can provide you the complete list.

6) No special dietary precautions are needed as long as the blood and urine tests are OK and the blood pressure is normal.

I hope this was helpful.
I will be happy to provide answers to any more questions which you may have.

Dr. Bhabhe