Owl Image

Diagnosed with migraines. Having vertigo, dizziness, blurred vision and neck pain. Should i be worried?

Question
hi ive been suffering headaches for a few years and was diagnosed with migranes but the last few month ive had vertigo dizzyness and blurred vision ,neck pain and was sent for an mri to rule anything out but it came back and said i have a blocked artery going to the back of my brain and i cant get in to see my neuro till XXXXXXX 28th and im soo worried as im a single mum to a 3 yr old with a heart condition is this a death sentance for me is it only a matter of time till i have a stroke plz help
Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is completely understandable to be worried, any person would be.
Strokes are classified as ischemic or hemorrhagic. Ischemic strokes (due to blockage of blood vessels) are more common.

Blockage can occur in blood vessels leading to the skull and brain (extracranial occlusion) or in blood vessels in the brain itself (intracranial occlusion).

Just because the blockage is there does not mean that you will have a stroke.

Primary prevention of stroke refers to treatment of persons with no previous history of stroke, who may be at risk.
Treatment involves modifying various risk factors such as (1) hypertension-high blood pressure is the most important risk factor to be modified- it is important to maintain a normal blood pressure. This is done via diet (low salt, at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables, no alcohol, water to replace sodas, foods with calcium and potassium as these reduce blood pressure), exercise and medication if necessary.

(2) smoking- this increases the risk of a stroke 2 to 4 fold and should be discontinued if it is one of your risk factors
(3) control of cholesterol- this is also very important- can be done by diet, exercise and medication if necesssary
(4) check for diabetes- this is another potential cause for stroke, so it must be adequately controlled if present

The blockage is associated with an increased risk of a stroke, but is a risk not a done deal, prevention is possible and if the neurologist believes more invasive treatment is necessary, then this can be done as well.

I hope this allays some of your fears, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Diagnosed with migraines. Having vertigo, dizziness, blurred vision and neck pain. Should i be worried? 8 hours later
But with the symptoms im having already blurred vision,neck pain headache vertigo and a blackout feeling sometimes happens are these tias im having already having n if so shouldn't i be seen before the 28th XXXXXXX thankyou so much for advice

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 15 hours later
Hi, sorry about the late reply

It would be preferable for you to be assessed earlier, if possible, because it would serve to (1) determine the impact of occlusion of the blood vessel on the area of the brain that it supplies through neurological examination (2) hopefully, if the assessment is favourable, put your mind at rest- to have to worry for another 5 or so weeks would be difficult
You may want to consider speaking to your GP about your concerns to determine if he or she may be able to arrange an earlier appointment with that particular neurologist, if not,it may be possible to see someone else at an earlier time.

Feel free to ask any other questions