Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with mastoiditis, taking antibioticse. Have swelling around ear with pus. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 816 Questions
i was diagnosis with mastoiditis, I've taking all my antibiotics, and ear drops. Now I have swelling around my ear, and this morning there's a pus looking lump on top of the swelling.

I'm on contract oversea, with limited medical, treatment, with only 1 to 2 months left in contract, my supervisors are concern, that i should leave now, and go to the states for treatment.

Which, my problem, started, when I got off the airplane, returning to work.
What can I do, to relieve the swelling or this extra lump, and do I need immediate medical treatment, or could it be taken care of after 2 months.
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
The class one treatment for pus collection is to drain it surgically and thoroughly and do dressings.
The pus should be Gram stained and culture test should be done.
The broad spectrum antibiotics should be taken depending on severity.
Offcourse you should go to a hospital because all this is feasible in a hospital only.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with mastoiditis, taking antibioticse. Have swelling around ear with pus. Suggest? 2 hours later
do, I need to go to the hospital immediately, it would take, about a week to transport from my destination, back to the USA, for treatment.
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 4 hours later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
I have seen your photographs, swelling is significant and I think you should go to the hospital to get relief.
Wish you a great health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor