Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with kebesella oxycoat infection. Is faropenem better than imepenem?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1038 Questions
my sister has been diagonised with kebesella oxycoat infection.she been with it for one and half years . she was given , amikacin gentamicin taobactum and lastlly for the last 3 months she is been prescribed faropenem tablets . is faropenem better than imepenem , are they one and the same thing.
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 4 hours later
thanks for the query.

I appreciate the history you have given for it is very relevant.
It is unfortunate that your sister's diagnosis was only made at a later stage but however, the essential thing is that the diagnosis was finally made from which there is a way forward.

Klebsiella infections are typically resistant infections and most often occurring with multiple drug resistance. This is usually overcome by doing an antibiogram to determine the range of antibiotics to which the germ is sensitive to. Empiric treatment however would target gram negative since Klebsiella oxycota is a gram negative bacteria. Gentamycin, amikacin, tobramycin and impenem all are effective against gram negative bacteria which do not have any resistance so far.
Faropenem and imipenem all belong to the same group of antibiotics known as penems. Faropenem is relatively new and is a modification of imipenem, thus more stable and more active against enzymes produced by bacteria.
An effective way of getting the right drug will be to do an antibiogram to test the sensitivity of various antibiotics and see which will be most effective.

Hope this answers your query. If you have more query, do not hesitate and if you do not have further query, you could close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wishing your sister a speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor