Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with hydrocephalus. Started loosing sense. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1417 Questions
hello i am a 25 year old female. i was diagnosed with hydrochephalus at the age of 12.
recently i have been having only what i can describe as out body experiences. it feels as if im dremaing when im not. it also makes me lose all sense of everything, i hear people talking to me but i cannot physically answer them back.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

Thanks for the question.
Your symptoms are definitely concerning. They suggest a possible block in the shunt which is leading to an increase in the intracranial pressure. This can have serious consequences. Please see a physician as soon as possible. A scan to evaluate the shunt and the size of the ventricles is definitely in order.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with hydrocephalus. Started loosing sense. What treatment should be done? 2 hours later
what would happen if i didnt see a doctor am i in any danger? also i have been a victim of domestic violence for the past5 years. my partner at the time punched me in the head on numouous accasions leaving me with painful lumps to my head.i have recently found a dent in the back of my head which i have never felt before,could this be in connection with my symptoms?

thank you for your help XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 10 hours later

Thanks for follow up question.

If you do not see doctor then symptoms might increase further and may even lead to complications related to high-pressure hydrocephalus. Therefore, in my view, not seeing doctor is not an option in your case.

Even domestic violence related head injuries could cause such symptoms. So ideally, a scan is needed to see if its hydrocephalus or head injury related symptoms.

Dent behind head can be a depressed fracture and this should not be ignored.

I would recommend you to see your doctor (preferably a Neurologist) sooner.

Please ask if there are doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with hydrocephalus. Started loosing sense. What treatment should be done? 7 hours later
hello just a quick update along with another question. well i went to the hospital last night and the doctor said he could not see my optic nerves or something due to it being "blury" because of presasure on my brain.

I was advised to see my gp today,i am seeing him later today.

my question is whatis my gp going to do? will he rush me to hospital??

i have been having very painfull pains in my head ache. i say pain because thats what it is its not a headache. it feels like stabbin or crushing in the area of my shunt.

once again thank u 4 all your help
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Actually the blurring of optical nerve means you have papilledema. Papilledema is optic disc swelling that is caused by increased intracranial pressure. This makes possibility of hydrocephalus worsening quiet obvious.Headache is commonly experienced in raised intra-cranial pressure. I think you will have to see your doctor, who deals with hydrocephalus ( most probably a neurosurgeon) issues rather than your GP.

Hope this answers your question.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor