Diagnosed with cyclical vomiting syndrome. Gastric emptying time test delayed emptying time. Any suggestion?

Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello, My daughter is 12 years old and was diagonised with Cyclical vomiting syndrome, but i was unconvinced because her abdominal pain was severe and her episode recently were 2 consequitive times every month. All tests done from the past 2 years were normal like CT abdomen, Endoscopy, and blood tests, they had mentioned However that the duodenal lumen was dilate. The vomiting in the last 2 episodes were yellow and green . last week a barium meal test was done , but did not confirm clearly of any obstruction, but the gastro doctor told me that her small bowel loops look to be dilated but has not been reported and a Diagnostic Laproscopy needs to be donre to confirm. but the paediatric surgeon and the paediatrician in the hospital were not very sure to go ahead with this, so we dropped the idea of a laparoscopy and took a second opinion, the other doctor also had doubts seeing the barium film, but not sure. he suggested a Gastric Emptying Time test. this test showed a delayed emptying time 120 minutes where the normal time mentioned was 75 mnts. I am unsure now does the Gastric emptying time anyway confirms an obstruction in small Bowel or is it that my child has Gastroparesis? please clarify
Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: noconfirmatory tests for cyclicalvomiting syndrome Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for asking question on health care magic. I understand your concern for your daughter. THERE ARE NO CONFIRMATORY TESTS FOR CYCLICAL VOMITING SYNDROME. The diagnosis is arrived only from history of vomiting occurring at regular intervals with the same duration and intensity of vomiting and at the same time of the day or night. During the interim period the child is absolutely alright. When all the tests were normal, only delayed emptying time does not confirm the diagnosis of obstruction. In such cases, I prefer to wait for some time. Treat it as cyclical vomiting syndrome and repeat the test if necessary in future. Hope this answer will serve your purpose Please feel free to ask any more queries if required Take care Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam MD;DCH Associate professor of pediatrics
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad