• question-icon

Diagnosed with chronic bacterial prostate infection. Prescribed augmentine. Is this safe?

Posted on Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Infections
Question: I was diagnosed of bacterial chronic prostate inflammation after semen culture that revealed the presence of "gram positive cocci" with pus cells ranging from 0-2/hpf
The doctor give me Augmentine 1000 twice per day
what I want to know is :-
Isn't that too much?
if that is the correct dose aren't any antibiotic with lower side effects?
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 38 minutes later
Thanks for your query,
You have been diagnosed with chronic bacterial prostate infection which is culture positive for Gram positive cocci.

Augmentin is good oral antibiotic and it contains Amoxycillin 1 gm and 62.5 mg clavulanic acid which increases efficacy of antibiotic. This is normal adult dose, lower dose will have to be given more frequently.
In prostate antibiotic concentration reached is low so treatment is long may be for few months.

Only if it is not tolerated by you then you can report to your urologist and alternative antibiotic like Floroquinolonne (Levofloxacin) or Macrolide or tetracycline may be given to you.

Hope I have cleared you doubts, if there is any more doubt left please revert back to me, I will be happy to help you.

Regards.
Dr. A. Dubey M.D.

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey