Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with Hep B virus. How can she recover? Recommend drugs?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 883 Questions
hi, my sister is 15 years old and she has just been diagnosed with the hep b virus, acute hepatitis b. what are the chances that she would recover from the infection. and is there any drug that can help her with the recovery? thanx
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 3 hours later

Thanks for the query.

Yes there is a lot which can be done for your sister.

1. If she is in the acute phase of Hepatitis B infection then medications can help. This will be evidenced by the presence of e antigen in the blood as well as the viral load evaluated by Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) testing. If these tests yield positive results then a drug by name lamuvidine can help to a great extent. If successful this can aid in complete recovery from infection.

2. General supportive care is equally important in liver infections.

I hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need any more assistance.

With Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor