Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with GERD. What is causing chest pain, shortness of breath and arm numbness?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1962
Answered : 693 Questions
I am 37 years old and male. I am a very healthy guy...6'0 210. Still can run 8 minute mile no problem. Play pro soccer. In the last 2 years I have been to ER twice with what I thought was a heart attack. Chest pains, shortness of breath, left arm numbness, shaking...all that. All my tests were negative and I was told it was GERD. Last visit to ER was Sept 14 and still have tingling in arm and chest after I eat anything. What can this be?
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 43 minutes later
Iam glad to see that you are very fit and active.
I am sure,when you visited E.R. ,they did blood
work,electrocardiogram and may be scheduled
You for a stress test.Especially if you have a
strong family history of heart disease at an
early age,stress test is dtefinitly indicated.
To your specific question,the most common
condition that mimicks heart attack isG.E.R.D.
Gastroesophageal reflux disease.
This is related to acid backing up intoo
the esophagus through a week sphincter at
the junction of dtomach and esophagus.
Symptoms could be heartburn, atypical chest
pain.Other symptoms include sore throat, cough
especially at nights,increased asthma attacks etc.
If you have any of these symptoms,you have this.
You may need to have an upper G.I.x-ray studies.
You may even need an endoscopy by a G.I.specialist.
In the mean time,watch your diet.Cut back caffeine,
tomato based sauces,cheese,citrus products,tobacco.
You can go on a trial course of Prilosec(OTC) or similar
drugs such as prevacid,protonix,aciphex,nexium
one tablet twice a day about an hour before meals,stay
on it for 4-6 weeks,if you get total relief.
Wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor