Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Diabetes. Sweat a lot. Drinking Gatorade. Is there a good electrolyte replacement mix that is good for diabetics?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1558 Questions
I am a 300 Lb man with diabetes who is doing hard labor in AZ heat. I sweat a lot and I know I am losing a lot of salts working. I have been drinking Gatorade, but A it is expensive and B it has a whole lot of sugar. Is there a good electrolyte replacement mix that is good for diabetics and not ridiculously expensive
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 7 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Ceralyte is type of Oral Rehydration solution (ORS) that has been devised for diabetics. Ceralyte is available as 50, 70 and 90 according to sodium concentration. In mild cases of diarrhea or sweating, ceralyte 50 should be enough. I think Ceralyte should be more cost-effective than pedialyte etc.

I will suggest that you make your own ORS at home that does not have sugar in it. The following is the recipe:

Take 1 liter of pure drinking water (from reverse osmosis technique like aquafina or kinley) or sugar free lemonade. Just make sure that it is not mineral water, as we need it to be free of salts to start with. Also you can add some lemon juice to give it some flavour. Add 1/2 Teaspoon of common salt. This will work equally well.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor