Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Depressed. Taken morphine and valium. Problems not cured. What should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 415 Questions
my boyfriend takes morphine and also valium. he told me he is depressed. im pregnant and upset but i want to help him. we are going on holiday for two weeks and he said he hopes he will clear his head. i know he takes that for longer then one year but over the last month is very to help him? he finnaly told me about his problems but nothing changing.
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later

Probably he may be dependent (scientifically) on morphine. Because those who are dependent they may not be able to stop it even if they try because whenever they stop the drug they experience withdrawal symptoms. And upon taking the drug the withdrawal symptoms are relieved. And this becomes vicious cycle.

Also, you report that he is depressed. In some cases, to relieve depression people take such drugs.

Moreover, currently you are pregnant and of course, you need support and care.

Keeping all these above mentioned facts in mind, I would strongly suggest to consult a psychiatrist ( who can evaluate for depression and treat addiction problems) for taking care of both the conditions.

And once you are in touch with psychiatrist or deaddiction specialist (who will carry your concerns over his head, professionally) and you can be relaxed and can take care of your pregnancy well for well being of you and fetus.

Of course, I am there for professional guidance, as and when needed, if you wish to, whatever possible.

I am available for further discussion

Wish both of you good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Depressed. Taken morphine and valium. Problems not cured. What should be done? 50 minutes later
Thank you for the useful information and i will try to convinced my boyfriend to go to the psychiatrist. i was also thinking to try hypnotheraphy as i heard could be good aswell but dont know really how does it work.
is there any other way i could start helping him by myself until we could start searching for professional help? thank you once again.
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 15 minutes later

Thanks for your kind words

He may not agree to go to a psychiatrist, if you simply focus on drug addiction, as it happens majority of such individuals.

Some suggestions to pursue him would be :

1. You (your boy friend) might need help of a mental health professional for depression or any other psychological issue between both of you.

2. For well being of fetus and myself (i.e you), your (boy friend) psychological health and your (boy friend) care and support is essential.

3. Is there provision of home visit for doctor at your place ? I do not know about your place, if available, worth trying

Hypnotherapy has no robust research evidence for helping in such patient and is not cost effective, too

I feel, if you put your emotional strength for pursuing him, it will be successful

I am available for further discussions

Wish you good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor