Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Dad heavy drunker. Suggest medicine to get rid of the habit? Is disulfiram helpful?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 14 Questions
Hello Sir,

I just want to know how to make the alcohol consumption stopped.
My dadis a drunker, he has this habit from almost 20 years, I just want that to be stopped. We have tried to convince him to quit the drinking habit but never succeeded. He drinks daily and is irritating in the house. Please guide in this regards.

He is not ready to take any medication too, we have to provide the medicine without his knowledge.

I heard from one doctor that "disulfiram" will be helpfull , Can it be provided. I am afraid of its after effects.

Please help in this regards,

Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Hebbar 5 hours later
Thanks for the query and your concern towards your father. Your father must be addicted to alcohol to the extent that he can not think of his life without alcohol. He will have strong constant desire to drink and if he stops to drink he will not sleep and feel restless. These are the reasons why they don't want leave alcohol. Only the way out from this problem is to admit him to a de-addiction center and do counselling over a period of 2 to 3 months. There are such centers in Bangalore and they come in a van and pick up the person from the house. If someone can take such bold initiative in your family it can give results. Giving disulfiram without persons knowledge is XXXXXXX that too in this elderly age. It can be XXXXXXX if the person does not take medical help immediately after drinking while taking disulfiram. There are some other medicines which can be given without his knowledge but this can be discussed only personally with you(these medicines produce temporary weakness which can scar the person and he may think of stopping alcohol). If you want to know about this option you can visit my web site WWW.WWWW.WW and get my details
Dr Sudhir hebbar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor