Could low iron in blood cause numbness and heart palpitations?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
Hi there. I was told my iron is low...blood test showed 29. I've had a previous history of uterine polyps which were removed. The past couple of days I have had numbness in my hands or feet, heart palpatations and have been extremely exhausted with some nausea. I feel I may have another polyp. Could this then cause low iron or should I be worried about something else?
Posted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ATTACH RECENT REPORTS.

Detailed Answer:

Low IRON storage can cause above symptoms. However, I would like to review your recent test reports to assist you better and give proper guideline.

Waiting for your response and report.

Dr S patra

Follow-up: Could low iron in blood cause numbness and heart palpitations? 7 hours later
Hi and thank you for your response. These are the most recent blood tests I have.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
DO SOME ADDITIONAL INVESTIGATION.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for attached reports. Followings are my comments.

1) Your blood report suggests LOW NORMAL Ferritin level. It may indicate early sign of Iron Deficiency Anemia. However, other parameters are within NORMAL range.

2) In this circumstance, I suggest you to undergo some additional investigation like One Peripheral Blood Smear test, Serum TIBC, Transferrin, Iron, Hepacidin level etc. It will be helpful to confirm the diagnosis.

3) Do one pelvic examination with or without speculum to your gynecologist and proceed one ultrasound scan to rule out uterine pathology including polyp.

4) Take IRON supplements and IRON rich diet to combat deficiency. Add Vitamin C tab to enhance intestinal iron absorption. Take adequate bed rest and avoid heavy work/ long journey. Kindly, procure complete prescription from your doctor.

Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion.

All the best and good luck.

Dr S Patra