Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Cough and breathlessness. Open lung biopsy turned to pneumonia. CT scan showed glass opacification. Was on steroids. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 175 Questions
Hello Dr,
I have been suffering from persistent cough and breathlessness, i had gone through an open lung biposy in mumbai wherein the results turned out to be chronic hypersensitivity pneumonia. Ct Scan showed some observations of diffuse ground glass opacifiction with fine sub nodular opacities in both the lungs, i was put on steroids for two years and since the last one year i was off from mediciation however since the last 2 months i have noticed that im going back to square 1 and facing the same issues. I have been put back on steroids but i would like to know if there is any other treatments that can be done as i am not happy taking steroids considering im only 25years. Plz help me with a solution or recommend me some doctor or hospital to get this treated. I would be highly obliged.
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Andy Fine 4 minutes later
Greetings friend,

Hypersensitivity pneumonia is treated by cutting down on the inflammation, and steroids are really the only proven mainstay of treatment. I understand your concern about being on steroids, but you will not be on them for long and they really are essential to recovering from this illness. There are some other immunomodulatory drugs that can be used for this condition, however they are extremely expensive and difficult to get and did not have the safety profile that steroids do. I would recommend continuing the steroids.

There are reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW
Have a good day.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor