Copper IUD inserted. Experiencing severe bloating, heartburn, nausea and pressure in abdomen. What to do?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 17 May 2013 in Birth Control
Question: I got a copper IUD inserted 1 week ago. I have a 4 year old. I am experiencing severe bloating, heartburn, nausea and a to of pressure in my abdomen. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 19 minutes later

After insertion of intrauterine contraceptive device, some amount of side effects are common.
So the nausea, bloating sensation etc you are experiencing could be due to the IUD.
Usually these symptoms will subside soon, without the need of any medicines.
If you are having severe problem, you can take symptomatic treatment like antacids in combination with anti-emetics etc.
If the symptoms persist even after taking these consult gynecologist once and get examined to rule out the possibility of pelvic infection.
And discuss regarding continuation or removal of IUD.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.