Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Consuming alcohol. Diagnosed with fatty liver. Diabetic. Test report showed SGOT is 122, SGPT is 129. What does this indicate?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
Hello Doctor,

I am consuming alcohol continuously for past few years. Yesterday I did a blood test for liver function and kidney function. SGOT is 122, SGPT is 129, Alkatile phospate is 89 and Gamma GT is 67. I had consumed alcohol just Few hours before the test. I was already diagnosed with Fatty Liver and also diabetic

What does this indicate.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described details, there appears to be possibility of alcohol induced liver damage.

Persistent alcohol intake causes liver damage in four stages:
1) Fatty Liver
2) Alcoholic hepatitis
3) Cirrhosis
4) Hepatocellular carcinoma

First two stages are reversible with stoppage of alcohol while third and fourth stages are irreversible in nature.
Presence of elevated liver enzymes with fatty liver in ultrasound imaging denotes stage 1 liver damage and you must stop alcohol for recovery.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also consult in deaddiction center if you are not able to leave alcohol by your will power.

As you are also diabetic, alcohol quitting is must and alcohol and diabetes both may cause liver damage in future.

Meanwhile, you should take ursodeoxycholic acid, vitamin E and statins for relief of your symptoms.
Take low fat diet.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor