Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Constant ringing in ears.Need permanent cure

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2547 Questions
ringing in the ears is constant like a sizzling off in the distantmy mother is having a constant ringing and her ears she's about 87 answer something we can do to help alleviate this problem for her or is it really something severe
Posted Wed, 20 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Everyone experiences tinnitus sometime during their lives, even when their hearing is normal, especially when the surroundings are quiet. Kindly get her ears examined to rule out blockage due to ear wax (cerumen) build-up, which is the most common cause for tinnitus. Get her blood pressure and hemoglobin levels checked. You may also get a Pure Tone Audiogram (PTA) done after that to rule out any age related hearing loss. You may also get her middle ear pressure checked (Impedance Audiometry).Can you post her audiogram? What is her Speech Discrimination Score?

2. One option is to mask the tinnitus by using hearing aids. Transtympanic steroids (dexmethasone) are of help in half the patients I treat. Tinnex (Carvoverine) is a newly launched treatment.

3. Has she has any previous treatment or medication? Has her eardrum been examined? How severe is her tinnitus on a scale of 1 to 10? Is it pulsatile (matching with the heartbeat)? Does she have any other co-existing disease including, anemia, thyroid problems,cervical spondylosis, nasal problems or history of head injury? Does she have any dizziness or vertigo?

There is no cure for tinnitus however in certain cases, it can be controlled.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor