Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Cold feeling after eating sugar. Headache, fever, BP high, have palpitations, dizziness. What has happened to me?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1663 Questions
Hi I have started experiencing issues when I eat things with too much sugar. I feel this cold feeling in the crown of my head. Later in the day, my head hurt, I have a slight fever and my bp goes up. My heart will also start palpitating. After a couple of hours I will start feeling better. I have also had my hands start shaking, my mind losing cognitive ability and getting dizzy in which I would then drink some fruit juice and it made me better.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 23 hours later

Thanks for the query.

Reactive hypoglycemia is a condition that may potentially explain the symptoms you are reporting.

In people with pre-diabetes or early type 2 diabetes, the blood sugar level rises sharply after consuming a meal XXXXXXX in carbohydrates and then drops precipitously in the ensuing hours. Although the blood glucose level rarely if ever drops below normal in the hours following the 'starchy' meal , the rate and degree of decline in blood glucose levels mimics 'hypoglycemia', a low blood sugar reaction. Some of the symptoms you are describing are typical of a hypoglycemic episode.

However 2 things need to be said here.
One, these types of symptoms classically occurs in the next few hours after the particular meal, not much later in the day.
Secondly, it may be worth checking the blood glucose levels with a glucose meter as a finger-stick reading using testing strips. This can be done every 30 minutes after the specific meal that tends to produce these symptoms, for about 4-5 hours. If truly there is a rise followed by a fall in the blood glucose levels, then your symptoms are ascribable to this condition.

The treatment includes restricting refined carbohydrates like white bread, white rice, pizza, pasta, potato etc and seeing a dietitian will help in this regard. There is also a medication called “acarbose” that can mitigate this problem. Seeing an endocrinologist in person will be useful to manage this condition if you have it.

Hope this answers your query. Should you have any further queries, feel free to post them here; I will be glad to assist you further.

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor