Are HbA1C levels of 5.8 normal for a patient diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in Diabetes
Question: Hi, just got my labs back and my HbA1C is stable at 5.8 I have reactive Hypoglycemia (4 yrs post Gastric Bypass Roux-N-Y & current ht/wt is 5'6" & 149 lbs, which I know is great news. Acarbose at mealtime has significantly decreased the number of low blood sugars I was experiencing. Im a retired RN & trying very hard! Is 5.8 fine for me if I can sustain at this level? Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hba1c level is good!

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I think you should be satisfied with your HbA1c.
5.8 is a good result, furthermore it hasn't changed even though hypoglycemic events are reduced.
I would suggest to continue with acarbose and keep monitoring blood sugar and HbA1c.
Will be a pleasure to answer further questions.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad