Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
148 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Chronic UTI, white cells in urine. Taking amoxicillin. Culture showed streptococcus agalactiae. Should I see a nephrologist?

Answered by
Dr. Chandan Choudhary


Practicing since :1992

Answered : 47 Questions

Posted on Mon, 18 Jun 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have chronic UTI's. I have one presently that has been going on over a month. The doctor gave me Augmentin for 10 days. The infection did not go away. It was cultured and came back as streptococcus agalactiae. I was put on Amoxicillin 2000 mg a day. It is still not gone. I also have MCTD with postives for lupus, RA and Sjogrens. I am debating or whether or not to go to the Outpatient clinic or wait for Monday. I suspect my kidneys are involved because there are lots of white cells in the urine. No fever but it is rare for me to run a temp. Any ideas? I am 59. My height is 5'10 weight is 225. I have had the normal testing done including a cystoscopy. Using macrobid as a preventative did not work at all. Should I see a nephrologist instead of a urologist? Any suggestions on prevention?
Follow up: Dr. Chandan Choudhary 6 minutes later
I did finish the amoxicillin. Both meds were taken as prescribed.
Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 1 hour later


Thank you for posting your query.

Please send me your ultrasound KUB (Kidney, Ureter and Bladder)/residual volume, serum PSA (Prostatic Specific Antigen) and uroflowmetry reports.

Also mention what are your symptoms?
Please tell me whether you are Diabetic or not?
Sterile pyuria is common in genitourinary tuberculosis, prostatitis, urethritis, interstitial cystitis, polycystic kidney, renal stone and bladder tumors etc, so your doctor will have to rule out these possibilities.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,  
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Beta-lactam antibiotics

doctor1 MD

Hello, I had a tooth extraction about 3 days ago and was given amoxicillin . The tooth is gone, but was infected before they pulled it at the...

doctor1 MD

Diagnosed with tonsillitis . Been on penecillan for 5 days. Feel very lightheaded and restless legs?? Is this normal

doctor1 MD

My 6 year old daughter has a double ear infection and is on Azithromicyn, 3rd dose this morning. She still presents with a fever of 102+/- deg but...