Chronic UTI, white cells in urine. Taking amoxicillin. Culture showed streptococcus agalactiae. Should I see a nephrologist?

Dr. Chandan Choudhary

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Jun 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have chronic UTI's. I have one presently that has been going on over a month. The doctor gave me Augmentin for 10 days. The infection did not go away. It was cultured and came back as streptococcus agalactiae. I was put on Amoxicillin 2000 mg a day. It is still not gone. I also have MCTD with postives for lupus, RA and Sjogrens. I am debating or whether or not to go to the Outpatient clinic or wait for Monday. I suspect my kidneys are involved because there are lots of white cells in the urine. No fever but it is rare for me to run a temp. Any ideas? I am 59. My height is 5'10 weight is 225. I have had the normal testing done including a cystoscopy. Using macrobid as a preventative did not work at all. Should I see a nephrologist instead of a urologist? Any suggestions on prevention?
Follow up: Dr. Chandan Choudhary 6 minutes later
I did finish the amoxicillin. Both meds were taken as prescribed.
Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Please send me your ultrasound KUB (Kidney, Ureter and Bladder)/residual volume, serum PSA (Prostatic Specific Antigen) and uroflowmetry reports.

Also mention what are your symptoms?
Please tell me whether you are Diabetic or not?
Sterile pyuria is common in genitourinary tuberculosis, prostatitis, urethritis, interstitial cystitis, polycystic kidney, renal stone and bladder tumors etc, so your doctor will have to rule out these possibilities.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E