Child with high fever, cough and chest congestion. Best medicine and treatment?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: Hi,
My son is 3 yrs and 2 months old . He has high fever like 102 degrees since last 2 days, bad cough and chest congestion. I have been giving him Chericoff and calpol but calpol is not working now. So I gave Meftal P today which has brought down the fever .
Should I start with antibiotics now. Can I give him Augmentin DDS for fever, I have it in powdered form Please tell me how to give this andd dosage. Also should I start with Sinarest AF for cold?
Note: this is the third time in this winter season that he is showing these symptoms. Is it an alarming situation? In the last two times, we did not give him antibiotics , this time the situation is worse.
Do you recommend a flu shot for him?
We are currently in US and have brought these medicines from India.
Would appreciate a quick reply.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 27 minutes later
Hi, this is a flu season and most probably what your child has is a viral infection only.
So wait for 2 days more and see.
Do not start augmenting by your self .
If you have ani histamine syrup like cetrizine you can use -or you have over the counter antihistamines there.
Sina rest can be given just at bed time .
If the cough does not improve you have to the doctor to evaluate the child or wheezing.
File hot can be given later ,not now.!
It will cover the prevailing viruses of this season but not all viruses are going o be covered!
Do not worry as the child will take time to get used to the cold
there .
They will do a rapid test for strep infections to decide whether antibiotics are needed!
Good luck
Dr Uma