Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

159 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Child with high fever, cough and chest congestion. Best medicine and treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Practicing since : 1970
Answered : 891 Questions
My son is 3 yrs and 2 months old . He has high fever like 102 degrees since last 2 days, bad cough and chest congestion. I have been giving him Chericoff and calpol but calpol is not working now. So I gave Meftal P today which has brought down the fever .
Should I start with antibiotics now. Can I give him Augmentin DDS for fever, I have it in powdered form Please tell me how to give this andd dosage. Also should I start with Sinarest AF for cold?
Note: this is the third time in this winter season that he is showing these symptoms. Is it an alarming situation? In the last two times, we did not give him antibiotics , this time the situation is worse.
Do you recommend a flu shot for him?
We are currently in US and have brought these medicines from India.
Would appreciate a quick reply.
Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 27 minutes later
Hi, this is a flu season and most probably what your child has is a viral infection only.
So wait for 2 days more and see.
Do not start augmenting by your self .
If you have ani histamine syrup like cetrizine you can use -or you have over the counter antihistamines there.
Sina rest can be given just at bed time .
If the cough does not improve you have to the doctor to evaluate the child or wheezing.
File hot can be given later ,not now.!
It will cover the prevailing viruses of this season but not all viruses are going o be covered!
Do not worry as the child will take time to get used to the cold
there .
They will do a rapid test for strep infections to decide whether antibiotics are needed!
Good luck
Dr Uma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician