Child with a very small height. All blood work done. What are the findings. Thyroid or kidney?
BUN/Creatinine Ratio: High: 120 (Normal Range 9 - 25)
Creatinine, Serum: Low: .15 (Normal Range .19 - .42)
Carbon Dioxide, Total: Low: 18 (Normal Range 20 - 32)
Albumin, Serum: High: 4.5 (Normal Range 3.4 - 4.2)
Lymphs (Absolute): High: 6.5 (Normal Range 1.2 - 5.2
Monocytes (Absolute): High: 1.1 (Normal Range .2 - .8)
TSH: High: 7.1 (Normal Range .6 - 5.5)
Prealbumin: Low: 10 (Normal Range 20-40)
Does this indicate a thyroid problem? And a kidney problem? What is the relation of the lab results as to her short stature? What is the solution to this? Would she take synthroid? My 5 year-old daughter also saw an endocronoligist at the same time for the same (short stature) issue. I am still waiting for the results.
Thanks so much! XXXXXXX
At first I would like to say that many children whose height is less than 3rd percentile would be entirely normal it is just that they are normally short I.e their genetic potential for growth is less. So it is important to interpret a childs growth in the context of the parents and siblings heights.I need to know your and the childs fathers height and also your elder childs height .since you are saying that your elder child also had a similar issue at 20 months the short stature seems familial to me.
Regarding the tests the creatinine may be low because of a low muscle or lean mass which is part and parcel of her short stature. There doesnt appear to be a kidney probleThe ratio of ureaand creatinine is high because the creatinine is low.The TSH is high but she requires a repeat testing and usuallyyour endocrine will ask for an anti TPO before initiating on thyroid hormone this is done to identify autoimmune thyroid disease . Only after this ccan we say that there is a thyroid issue. The co2 concentration can be low very commonly due to fast breathing or crying when the blood is drawn.your endocrinologist will be the best person to decide wheyher synthyroid is required and the dose.
Please do write back to me with any clarifications
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Blood work for thyroid water
- Can thyroid problems effect kidney functions
- What is the finding of the scan of thyroid gland
- Thyroid tests done what are the findings
- What are the findings in my thyroid report
- Thyroid problem and kidney donate
- Fast for thyroid blood work
- Can a thyroid patient donate kidney
- Kidney is not working what does it mean
- Smoking marijuana and thyroid kidney stones
- Thyroid, weight gain. Taking thyroxine. Increased TSH. Is it safe to...
- Having body pain. Vitamin D test done. Getting on and off pain while on...
- Overweight, thyroid tests done. Advise?
- Sudden weight gain, bloating, taken water pills, not constipated or...
- Concerned about the thyroid hormone levels
- Will taking diabetic and thyroid pills hamper the growth of my fetus ?
- Severe drop in thyroid. Had cervical disk fusion surgery on C4,5, and 6....
- Adrenal fatigue. Adrenaline rush, fast pulse after meal, poor appetite....
- I am 49 and perimenopausal. Getting spotting. Started taking vitamin C....
- Thyroid test done. What is this anti tpo antibody titire? How would it...