Child vomiting and noticed pink colour. What could it be?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Question: Hello I just got home to my young daughter who is almost 3 and was told by her father that she has been vomiting a couple of times while I was at work but instead of looking like normal spew it was bright pink like a pink bubble gum colour. At the moment at her daycare center there is school sores, scarlet fever and chicken poxs going around.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: maintain hydration. consult the doctor. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Vomitings with a pink color fluid in the vomitus could be due to any colored food or material ingested, or small quantity of blood because of retching. I suggest you to give an antiemetic medication such as ondansetron in prescribed dose with the advice of her doctor. The main concerns in vomitings are to know the cause of vomitings, to prevent dehydration, and to control the episodes. Give sips of oral rehydration solutions such as Pedialyte to prevent dehydration. Monitor her hydration by activity, urine output, and skin turgor. Consult the Pediatrician for clinical examination to look for the cause of vomitings and medication to control vomitings. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. E Venkata Ramana 36 minutes later
Ok so the pink colour isn't anything that could mean she is coming down with any of the illnesses that I know are going around at daycare then. And she has already had some hydralyte before falling asleep.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pink colour not suggestive of specific illness. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for getting back. Pink colour vomit is not of any particular illnesses that are going around her daycare. Maintain her hydration by giving sips of Hyrdalyte to prevent dehydration and consult the doctor for examination and treatment. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.