Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Child scratched nose, swelling reduced after icing. No bleeding or discharge. Wondering if I should take him to the doctor.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2547 Questions
My son is 19 months and fell and hit the part that looks like a t, I guess it is called the bridge of the nose last night about 10pm from the wood part of the end of the bed. On top of his nose is bruised, looks like a scratch, bled a few seconds but stopped but the t part of his nose was very swollen. He cried for a minute or two but was back to playing like nothing happened. We played for another hour and then he went to sleep. I did put ice on the t part of the nose for 15 min an hour for about 2 hours. A lot of the swelling has gone down from last night but there is still a bump swelling on both sides around this area and was wondering if I should still take him to the doctor first thing. No bleeding or liquid of any kind came out of his nose.
Worry wart mom
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Since there was no bleeding or fluid from his nose following the injury, there should be no cause for worry. These are fairly common injuries as the nose is the most prominent part of the face.

2. You have taken the correct course of action for first aid.

3. The injury seems to be an external injury only. The swelling may take may days to subside. The discoloration may last longer.

4. You should get him seen by a doctor as soon a possible. You may share a photograph, however XXXXXXX examination is not possible. Your doctor may prescribe anti inflammatory medication and local medicated ointment to help decrease the swelling faster.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor