Child is having prominent jugular pulse. What is the disease called?
Welcome to HCM!
A prominent jugular pulse is indicative of some pressure changes in the right side of heart.
Sometimes you may see them in abnormal heart rate conditions.
Did he have a clinical examination by a pediatrician so far ?
If your son is otherwise normal and has no respiratory problems like wheezing,etc,then may be it can be ignored.
Great that the cardiology exam and echo were normal - that rules out the group of congenital cardiac anomalies .
what you describe looks more like transmitted pulsations .
External jugular vein has 2 valves and sometimes the portion between the 2 valves may be dilated. It is not in direct continuity with the superior vena cava XXXXXXX jugular pulsations are more reliable( to indicate some problem in the rat side of heart) because of the direct line of continuity.
However I suggest that you show the child to the pediatrician or cardiologist so that direct examination and evaluation can be done and your doubts clarified.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What to do for enlarged jugular
- Protruding jugular veins in child
- What is the significance of a pulsating jugular vein
- What causes solid hypoechoic mass anterior to the jugular vein
- Painful neck exterior jugular veins swelling what seems wrong
- Dull jugular pain
- Hickies on jugular vein
- Mildly swollen jugular lymph
- Right jugular throbbing
- Visible pulsating jugular in childs neck
- 3 month child passing small stools. What is the problem and what should...
- 12 months old not getting erections. Should I be concerned?
- Child having watery stools after steroid treatment. Should I be concerned?
- How to make a baby sleep through the night?
- 45 days old passing stool more then 8 times. Feeding with enfamil state...
- Is it possible for an unborn baby measuring 149mm head circumference to...
- Noticed purplish dots under skin and swollen legs after vaccination....
- Why a child is feeling lethargic and complaining of abdominal pain?
- 11 months old getting a whitish layer on tongue. Does it require any...
- 11 month baby facing difficulty to pass stool. What treatment should be...