Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Child having sharp pains in collar bone area. What should be done for cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 711 Questions
my son is 11 years old and he has sharp shooting pains in his collar bone area. he tells me he has had these pains for a long time now. it is a constant pain and he has to always press down into his collar bone area to supress the pain. but when he gets the shooting pain he says it hurts. he also tells me when he feels hot it aches more but the dull ache is always there and the only time he doesn't feel any pain is when he is alseep. i have consulting my Gp last year regarding this and she said it must be growing paisn but I am not convinced and my son tells me this pain has been there for a few years and has not got any better or worse. i do see him watchin tv and readin and he very ofter pushes his hands into his collar bone area as though he is tryng to push down on the pain. although he says this helps to relive the ache, whne the shooting pain comes he finds that quite painful.
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 13 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I understand your concern. He seems to have a problem. Is the problem localized to one side?

If he doesn't have this pain at night then it might not be a very serious problem.

Shooting pain usually indicates a nerve pain. The cause of this nerve pain can only be isolated by careful physical examination and other tests. Since pleuritis can cause such shooting nerve pain, it is advisable to get a chest x-ray done. Perhaps you should consider consulting an orthopedic for examination and evaluation.

In the meanwhile you can try paracetamol.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need further clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Child having sharp pains in collar bone area. What should be done for cure? 34 minutes later
the pain seems to be more on the right side of his collar bone through I have seen him pressing on either side. he says when he feels less hot he feels relief but the pain is still there though like a dull ache. he does find it hard to fall asleep though. does this mean it could be serious? i have an aapointment booked with my Gp again on thursday. should i ask them to refer me for xrays at the hospital as you have advised and also further tests. by the way what kind of tests would these be?
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.
Medically speaking, pain disturbing sleep is to be taken seriously. This means that the child is really suffering from some ailment. I think you should discuss with your GP about the gravity of the situation and ask him to refer you for an X-ray or a CT scan of that area to diagnose the problem. Initially a CT scan of the area of complaint would be excellent. Depending on the report further tests may be advised.

If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.

Have a nice day.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Child having sharp pains in collar bone area. What should be done for cure? 32 hours later
Hi dr XXXXXXX I have now spoken to my son in greater detail and he explains that he has had this shooting pain quite often now. Before it never used to disturb his sleep but since the last few days he cannot sleep as the pain is quite intense. I have been massaging the area he says is hurting to help him sleep and giving him ibuprofen but it doesn't seem to help much. It is now disturbing his daily routine at school as he gets intermittent shooting pains travelling up to his neck. When I press the area he says he feels a pain behind his upper arm? He pain is more on his right side inside his collar bone. I'm worried as it is now becoming more frequent and painful and he says he has had this pain since latter part of 2010. What should I ask my gp to help me with? He also says the area of pain sometimes feels quite hot?
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 4 hours later
I think you should talk to the GP seriously and ask him to consider the child's situation.
Ask him to investigate or refer to a specialist if possible.
Please try to convince him that the problem is increasing and the child is suffering.
Ask him to conduct some tests on the child,
I hope he gets relief soon,
Have a nice day.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor