Child having diarrhea, cold and loss of appetite. Diagnosed with minor pneumonia. Proper treatment?

Dr. Kaushik K Murthy

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: Hi Doc,

My son is 2 yrs old. He was born 3.5 kg and was growing well (1 kg per month) till 4-5 months and then he started having diaherra and cough and cold very regularly. This led to his decrease in appetite and weight. He weight was around 10kg at the end of 1 year. He completed 2 yrs a week back and weights 11.3 kg. He looks very weak, we can see his ribs when we massage his chest. He is having cough and cold currently since last 2 weeks. Doc diagnosed him for minor pnemenoia and gave livolin and antibiotic for a week. on completion of dose, he was better and there was no chest congestion, but now he again started having cough and looks like there is good amount of phelgm in his lungs but given his age he is not able to spit it out.

Can you please direct me what is the right course ?

Rgds XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 56 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing to us,

I understand your concern. The average weight for a 2 yr old boy weight is about 12.3 kg. At 11.3 kilos he is around 50th percentile of growth chart - this is within the required limits. Therefore he has a good amount of weight. So you need not worry.

I went through the other details provide, the previous history of complaints and medications. I would be able to understand what is happening better, if you could provide few other details such as:
1. If there is a family history of asthma or allergic rhinitis;
2. Dusty and smoky or polluted environment;
3. Newly painted home or construction work or any carpentry work;
4. Any smokers who smoke inside the house or any traditional way of boiling water using fire wood;
5. Uses any furry toys any furry pets, any thick carpets on the floor, using of baby powder for the baby, etc;

Kindly get this into my notice as all the above said factors may aggravate the cough and cold OR may be the cause for these repeated symptoms.

In the meanwhile, it is pertinent that you look for some possible danger symptoms which can accompany his current symptoms.
1-difficulty in breathing
2-wheezes or whistling sound while breathing
3-chest retractions or fast breathing.

He will need immediate medical attention under the care of a pediatrician if any or all of these danger symptoms exist.

Awaiting your response...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 44 minutes later
Other details -
1. If there is a family history of asthma or allergic rhinitis; >> No
2. Dusty and smoky or polluted environment; >> No
3. Newly painted home or construction work or any carpentry work; >> No
4. Any smokers who smoke inside the house or any traditional way of boiling water using fire wood; >> No
5. Uses any furry toys any furry pets, any thick carpets on the floor, using of baby powder for the baby, etc >> No

Symptoms -
1-difficulty in breathing >> Not much
2-wheezes or whistling sound while breathing >> Nope
3-chest retractions or fast breathing >> Not sure of this
Additionally, what I observe is that he coughs 5-6 times and some phelgm comes in his mouth which he swallows back and then takes around 30sec-45 sec to get normal, till then he is breathing heavy.
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 23 minutes later
Good afternoon Mr XXXXXXX
Thanks for the follow up.

So for most of the questions i wanted to clarify, your answers are no. I am glad to hear that, and its unlikely that your child may be having asthma.

But difficulty in breathing is present I suppose by the response you have given- i.e its not much. So I feel that your child may have a lower respiratory infection .
As this is the second episode of similar complaints , i would like you to get a complete blood count and a chest x XXXXXXX by these tests we can know the intensity of the condition.

But once again before getting the tests , kindly get your doctor examine him once, because clinical examination is the gold standard.

Due to the bad weather , the chest infections are common in pediatric age group.

Kindly review with your doctor and follow his opinion and advice. Review with us for any further queries.

I hope your doubt about the child’s weight is clarified.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli