Child having bumps on thighs. What could be this?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Question: I have a 2 year old son has had bumps starting on his thighs and has spread everywhere they started out flesh color now turned red took him to ped she ruled out strep and hand foot and mouth she gave him a steroid and seems to only have made it worse
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: lesions look like hives Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for posting your query, I am pleased to be able to assist you with your query and sorry for your baby's problems. Looking at the image you attached, I see macula plaques with erythrematous (red) base which maybe due to hives or allergic reactions. Most allergic reactions respond well to steroids but in some rare situations steroids can worsen this. If the rashes spread, that may confirm either allergy or an infection that the child is exposed to. If his pediatrician has ruled out strep, it does not mean that it is not an infectious problem. If I was to treat your child, I will provide him with antihistamines which act against allergies then associate an antibiotics such as amoxicillin. Child should use antiseptic soaps for body wash. Also, taking a look at the lesions, I will not conclude right away that it is not an infection as the lesions are similar to skin infection or dermatitis. You are free to see a dermatologist of opinion. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah
Follow up: Dr. Nsah Bernard 16 hours later
How can you tell that it's not bed big bites they look like pictures I've seen but I've looked in his room I see no signs of bed bugs
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 5 hours later
Brief Answer: it is possible that it is bed bugs bite. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, The lesion seem more like allergies to me. The truth is that, red maculo-papula lesions could represent any diseases conditions from bites, to allergies, to infections including bacteria, fungal and parasitic. To confirm that it is bed bugs, there must be a confirmation of its presence in his room which obviously is not the case. If you are in doubt, it is best you consult a dermatologist who can clarify. Skin affections can be some how tricky and you can never determine with certitude a particular skin affection. Hope this was helpful and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah