Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Child has pain while urinating, taken antibiotics. Suggested surgery if medicine does not work. Need advice

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1414 Questions
My son is 2 and half years old and from the last four months he is complaing about the pain while urinating.(striked majorly twice). We had seen a doctor he has given some antibiotics and suggested that if it continues we have to do some minor operation (to remove the top layer of the skin) so that the problem should not strike again. So please advice and let me know i f you need more information from my side.
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 36 hours later

Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX
Pain during urination could be due to doctor has examined and diagnosed as tight foreskin, then removal (circumcision) would be beneficial.
It is better to check ultrasound scan of the kidneys and bladder, blood tests to check kidney function and urine for infection, to make sure they are ok.
Hope this answers your query, kindly get back for doubts if any.
Pls upload reports and scans if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Child has pain while urinating, taken antibiotics. Suggested surgery if medicine does not work. Need advice 9 hours later

That helps! He never had a fever complain during the problem so we had not taken any scans further.(In fact, doctor has not suggested that..) Still Is that necessary to take the scan of kidneys and bladder? If you still advice to do so we will go ahead and do the same.

Waiting for your earliest response...

Thanks once again...
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 4 hours later

Thanks for your reply.
As part of evaluation for recurrent UTI, ultrasound needs to be done to check kidneys and the bladder.
If normal, nothing in particular will be needed except probably circumcision.
Hope this helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor