Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Child has dark bruise on lower back. What should be done to remove this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Practicing since : 1970
Answered : 891 Questions
My 4 1/2 year old son has a bruise on his lower back, near the tail bone, that has been there for over six weeks. It is a darker brown ring with lighter brown in the middle. I am concerned that it hasn't gone away. It orignially started as a carpet burn from sliding down the stairs.
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 15 minutes later
Welcome to HCM!

I agree with you that by now ( in 6 weeks ) it should have started to heal completely.

If at all what can prevent healing is infection.
There are some signs of infection like
Swelling or induration under the area - it feels hard and red
Any discharge of fluid from that area.
Extension of the original bruise.
Fever unexplained.
Tenderness--- pain when you press the affected area
If none of the above are present,there is no likelihood of infection.

Then you can wait some more time and watch.
May be the inner lighter ring which you mentioned is the fading wound!

Take care
God bless
Dr Uma

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor