Child asthma, can omnocortil and salbutamol be given?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Question: my daughter is having slight asthma we had been prescribed few medicines like omnocortil & one antibiotic , salbutamol . can we repeate the same medicines . she is 3.8yrs kid
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Don't give antibiotic,steroid without prescription

Detailed Answer:
HiXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Child with asthma, with an acute at present requires bronchodilator medication such as salbutamol in the form of nebulization, inhalation, or in syrup form depending on the severity of attack.

If there is no associated bacterial infection, antibiotic is not required. Child may develop antibiotic resistance if it is given without a clinical indication.

Omnacortil is steroid and it is prescribed drug. If it is used inadvertently it may lead to steroid facies, growth problems in children.

At present, you can give salbutamol in prescribed dose and consult the pediatrician for clinical examination to assess the severity of attack and to prescribe an appropriate medication advise with a follow up instructions.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. E Venkata Ramana 5 minutes later
Ok Thanks Doc, The attack iier . s not so sever
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue salbutamol & consult the pediatrician.

Detailed Answer:
HiXXXXX

You are welcome.

Thank you for getting back.

You can continue salbutamol as per the prescription.

Consult her pediatrician for the clinical examination, to auscultate her lungs to look for any signs of bronchospasm, and for an appropriate medication.

Regards.