Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Child always worry about performance, want to remain isolated and remain in anxiety. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1197 Questions
My daughter age15 years studying class x showing some abnormal behaviour.she always worry about performance
She never keep her books in arranged way.always scattered , want to remain isolated donot want to discuss remain in anxiety.performance is good but alwaysworry .pl suggest the remedy

Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 34 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.

As you have said, you are the parent of a 15 years old daughter who is having scholastic performance related anxiety, prefers to remain isolated. However you have also mentioned that her performance in studies has been good otherwise.

There are two areas to be considered here:

1. At this age, she is in class ten and there might be thoughts of continuous achievement running in her mind. This is the time when students consider themselves put under scrutiny by their parents, teachers, peers and society at large. I would suggest you not to put pressure on her studies and ask her in general about what her further plans are concerning career and study options. You must also talk to her teacher regarding any small tests gone bad or any such situation which might have caused any psychological stress on studies.

2. In adolescence, fifteen years of age is also a time when children start developing adult like inter personal relationships. It may be tough as a father, but if you are the mother, you could take her into confidence and slowly ask her about any matter with friends that is troubling her. This might be a sensitive matter and has to be dealt with care and without getting angry.

If your daughter is not co operating with you or any family members, and if the problems are progressively increasing, with signs of self neglect towards herself and others, please approach a psychiatrist, preferably a child psychiatrist for complete assessment of your daughter and to learn what exactly is troubling her. In most situations this is a temporary phase for children with complete restoration to normalcy. Rarely, there may be need for further investigation and treatment if there is no improvement.

Hope your query is answered.

Dr A. Rao Kavoor
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor