Can You Please Suggest On Fertility Problem?
We had an egg extraction from Monash IVF recently. They obtained 24 eggs, I think - no problem with egg quantity. 6 or 7 fertilised with ICSI, only two had formed blastocysts by day 5 and the rest were destroyed.
We attempted 2 seperate implantations, both of which failed. The doctor said that in 90 per cent of such cases, he would expect a pregancy.
He did a large range of blood tests and found no abnormalities. prior to the whole process, my wife did key-hole surgery laproscipy. They found a very small bit of endimetriosis which was removed.
So now, we have no idea as to what the problem is. The doctor has suggested we try again with 2 new processes called "Calcium Activation" and "Double Aspiration." Strangely, he says dont bother looking these up online, because I won't find any info on them, which to me is strage. He has also prescribed Melatonin and CoQ10? .
Id like to get an opinion on "Calcium Activation" and "Double Aspiration" and any other suggestions. Are these processes that any IVF clinic can do, as we really dont want to return to Monash IVF. Any other sugegstions much appreciated. Thank you
PGS and ERA will help
I understand your concerns.
Following is my reply:
1) There is possibility of chromosomal abnormalities in the egg by age 35 and above. Since your wife is 37 years I see aneuploidy ( abnormal genes / chromosomes ) of embryos.
2) There is a process called PGS ( Preimplantation genetic screening) of embryos which will identify if embryos are genetically normal to transfer or not. Probably 2 blastocysts transferred were abnormal !!
3) Since you could get only 2 blastocysts out of 24 eggs and only 7 fertilized , it is possible that eggs are genetically unhealthy. So didint form many embryos and didint implant !!
4) Calcium activation is a method activation of oocytes. This is still under research and i think is not suitable for you.
5) Double aspiration is stimulation again after ovum pick up and I think is not required.
6) Endometrial receptivity Array ( ERA) is a technique to identify which is the best suitable day for embryo transfer into your uterus. This will help you more than calcium activation or double aspiration.
Let me know if you wish to know anymore information.
Consider hysteroscopy and egg donation
Considering age of 37 years, I see chances are poor. PGS will give answer if there is any chromosomal abnormality.
Consider egg donation as an alternative option and give a serious thought about it.
Get hysteroscopy done to check if there is any polyp / septum or fibroid in uterine cavity that is preventing implantation.