Can vitamin and folic acid supplements be taken for anxiety?

Posted on Tue, 6 Jun 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Can I take vitamin b12, b6 and folic acid for anxiety? Or do these vitamins increases anxiety? Because I felt anxious after taking them for 2 weeks im 24 year old mald healthy
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

These vitamins will have no effect on anxiety, positive or negative. They do not treat or worsen anxiety. There is no scientific evidence that B vitamins nor folate is effective in treating anxiety. For anxiety treatment, I suggest an SSRI medication such as Lexapro, or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist