Can uncontrolled diabetes cause coronary artery disease?

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in Diabetes
Question: Can worsening Type II diabetes contribute to the occurrence of a heart attack in a person with no previous CAD but many risk factors? This person is insulin resistant and his A1C levels were high; above 8 for about 4 months, for reasons beyond his control.
Also, how does long-term stress affect A1C, CAD and the occurrence of a heart attack in these circumstances?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your message.
I think I can help you.
The fact remains that high sugars affect the blood vessel cells in the body.
These patients are also at a higher risk of higher cholesterol.
So yes, if one has uncontrolled diabetes the risk of developing cad is high.
In fact some authorities think that If one has uncontrolled diabetes , the patient had one cad already.
The chances of cad are definitely higher than in controlled diabetes.
I have tried to make it as simple as possible. I hope that the information contained in this message will be able to help you find the best solution for your problem. Best of luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 1 hour later
Can you make your answer a bit more detailed? I have done some research on this topic and I think I have a basic understanding, but I would like to know how an expert would answer these questions.

This individual would like to establish that the uncontrolled diabetes was one of the causes of his heart attack. In your opinion, is this a plausible theory?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need more details

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I have read your response.
I'll be needing more details.
What are these risk factors?
What are the factors causing stress?
What's the family history?
To your question, my response is that yes, uncontrolled diabetes does put the patient at risk of cardiac event.
It would be better if you share your exact sources. We can then discuss the theory ( which is worth 8 years of education ) and I may be able to help you find the best solution.
Obviously, I cannot condense volumes of books in one response. So it's easier to quote your sources and discuss according to the specific information you want to discuss.
Best of luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D