Can the HIV virus survive outside the body for weeks?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Sir/ madam, I am a male of age 36. Yesterday at about 8 PM I went to a hospital to meet a relative and in the corridor near the dustbin I felt that I put my foot( I was bare footed) on some gum like material. I didn't emphasized it much. In today's evening( after about 20 hours of that incident) I masturbated. But after that I found that perhaps I stood on an used bandaid (or any other material having adhesive gum) in the hospital because the gums of the bandaid (or any other material) were still there. I dont remember whether I have touched the gum with my hands before masturbating or not. If that bandaid is used by some HIV positive person then is there any chances of HIV infection in this way ???? Do I need any HIV test for this incident ??? Please help me.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The chances are very unlikely.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

HIV is not transmitted through the way you said as its survival is very difficult outside the human body or in an open environment and it will die within few minutes only so no need to fear or worry much.

The best way to confirm to get tested so just calm down and go for 4th generation HIV Duos test after one month. The test result will clear all your doubts and relieve the anxiety or stress related to HIV.

Thank You

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 21 minutes later
Thank U Sir. Do I really need àny test or you are saying it only for my anxiety???? If the material is not the used bandaid but any other thing having gum like things am I at any risk ?????
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is just to relieve your anxiety.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

As such no testing is required but it is just for your anxiety so as to clear all doubts and if it is gum like thing not bandage then you are not at risk so don't get worried and move ahead in life happily.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng