Can strenuous activity cause neck strain?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 8 Oct 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I originally got nerve compression due to overuse. Long story short i am in my 3rd month of recovery and it has gotten better as far as strength. But now i can’t lift much without getting a neck strain. To clarify i can lift most things but i get strain in my neck. Is this normal? Cause as of now most things feel heavy easpecially things that dangle like a shirt on a hanger or a towel. Just want some help. I still have another month until i can see a neurologist.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:

It could happen during muscles recuperation period.

Detailed Answer:

Nerve compression and the related muscles dysfunction and atrophy in arm may cause distorted weight sensation too.

Neck strain is most likely related to new balances created to compensate the affected muscles of the hand and arm.

Muscles of the shoulder and neck play an additional role in order to compensate other muscles function.

Since the strength is returning, this is a sort of normal thing during the recuperation period.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 34 minutes later
It does thank you so much dr you have been more of a help then my real doctor which i need to change once all this is healed up. What should i do to regain strength? Should i rest until healed and then try and build strength or regain it gradually
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 16 hours later
Brief Answer:

Moderate physical therapy is recommended.

Detailed Answer:

Moderate physical activity is better than rest in achieving muscle strength sooner, so, gradually you should increase movements.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 3 hours later
It does but i have one more question. Along with the neck strain i sometimes get head tingling and a little bit of pain on the right side of my head and scalp. Is this caused by neck strain?
Please answer i want to make sure i can start with to do things without messing up
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 23 hours later
Brief Answer:

It is possible.

Detailed Answer:

The answer to your question is yes, it is possible for muscles of the neck strain resulting in compression of the nerves supplying the skin of the head, causing symptoms similar to yours.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 9 minutes later
Thank you doc you have been a big help i just wanted to make sure that i wouldn’t mess something up if i starting attempting physical therapy
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 18 hours later
Brief Answer:

You can continue physical therapy.

Detailed Answer:

I think physical therapy is appropriate at this moment for you.

In good health.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Erion Spaho, Neurologist, Surgical
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng