Can pain and crackling sound on the back indicate problem with bones?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have pain in my back.If I do cycling exercise by lying down,in my right side it makes noise whereas it does not on my left side.Whenever I do bowling (while playing)it pains there.Doing exercise for last 3 months but it is not healing.I suppose there is bone problem which needs to be addressed.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Problem could be in the joint Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. If there is pain and crackling sound, problem could be in the joint. Now after 3 months if pain is still there ,I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the X-ray/ MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance. Meanwhile following measures will help with the pain • Lie on a hard bed. • Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required • Avoid forward bending. • Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights. • Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care